Also known as “Pearl of Transylvania”, Tusnad Spa is one of the most beautiful mountain resorts not only in Harghita County, but also in the country, which was declared a town in 1968. It is considered the smallest town in Romania. The resort of international importance is in an extremely beautiful region, on the western slopes of the volcanic Ciomad Mountain, and in the Olt River Valley at 656 m altitude, in the midst of pine and deciduous forests, with very clean air rich negative ions.
Geographical context and richness of natural therapeutic factors, bioclimate, numerous sources of mineral water, natural gas and thermal waters, have favored the development of specialized medical conservative balneology type, which uses the natural treatment factors. Ciomad Mountains is one of the youngest volcanic formations in the Carpathians. The volcanic origin of the area played a major role in the formation and development of the spa. The gases which break to the surface (carbon dioxide, hydrogen sulfide) and the mineral waters made possible the therapeutic treatments and crated the conditions for the town to become a prestigious spa.
The Olt is the main river of the resort and the Lake Ciucaş, which is placed in the middle of the resort, was created for tourism purposes. Near the Lake Ciucaș the Wellness Center can be found, which is a relaxation, and treatment base. Besides big hotels, which also have spas and wellness, now the resort has a wide variety of accommodations, offering increased comfort at affordable rates. It is desirable that all the aforementioned to represent a strong point for balneal tourism, so that the resort could regain its old names of “Pearl of Transylvania” or “Little Switzerland”.
Natural cure factors of the resort are:
- Climate – climatotherapy (stimulant tonic emissions, negative air ions and aerosols – relaxant bioclimate, sedative);
- Mineral water – carbonated, chlorosodic, calcium, magnesium, ferruginous, bicarbonate, hypotonic – traditionally used for their vasodilatory effects in the prophylaxis, therapy and recovery of cardiovascular patients – external treatment, internal treatment.
For internal treatment spa centers uses the mineral water from springs no. 2, 3 and 4. Admission is free. For external cures balneary treatments are being used.
- Mineral water from the springs no. 7 and 8 is captured via pipelines and it arrives in the treatment centers, where it is used in pools and bathtubs in individual bathrooms;
- Natural gases – The mofetta is a natural up rush of carbon dioxide, also known as dry gas. The appearance of mofettas is related to the volcanic past of the East Carpathian Mountains and it is used in spa therapies. The application of these gases in medicine is unique in the whole world. These therapies are taken collectively in special places, arranged for this, which are like a “roman circus” with an inclining zone filled with natural gases and stairs on different levels to help the patient, who are standing there, sinking their body into the gas, usually until their waist. The mofetta can be used only with the suggestion of the local specialist and with previous agreement on the attendance frequency.
- The effects of the carbon dioxide are taking place by the absorption of the skin and inhalation of the gas, which reacts like the increased ionization.
- The application of these natural mofetta gases in medicine is justified with the attributes of the carbon dioxide by the elimination of the hydrostatic pressure, the thermal factor and the micro massage of the gas bubbles, over added during the bath in carbonated mineral water.
- The indications for the mofetta are similar with those of the balneotherapy.
Contraindication for balneotherapy:
- 1. Chronic and acute inflammations
- 2. Infectious disease
- 3. Active TBC
- 4. Benign and malignant tumours
- 5. Undernourished condition
- 6. Psychopaths with behavior disorder
- 7. Epilepsy
- 8. Alcoholism, neuropsychiatric disorders
- 9. Potentially contagious skin disorders
- 10. Patients who cannot self-service
Not least to be mentioned the ecotourism offer of the resort (hiking, walking and adventure on two wheels, rafting and kayaking on the Olt River, wildlife observation, etc.) that is due, primarily, the natural landscape, but also the existing ecotourism infrastructure (marked trails, paths thematic halting places etc.).
Access is possible on National Road No. 12 or on the railway line no. 400 Brasov – Deda, Tusnad Spa being 32 km south from Miercurea Ciuc, 37 km north from Saint George, 67 km from Brasov and 35 km from Baraolt.
GPS coordinate: 46°9′N 25°51′E