The village is considered the residence of Tuşnad commune and is famous for potato cultivation, and many mineral water springs, otherwise there is a mineral water museum, unique in Romania. The popular name of the village is due to the numerous lakes and reed. However, the original name of the village comes from the Slavic word “tozno” (= turbid) and it was also the name of a stream in the area. There is evidence that the area has been inhabited since the Iron Age and the Middle Ages, for example Vártető/Vârful Cetății castle ruins. The village appears for the first time under the name “Twsnad” in written documents in 1567. On a diploma from 1571 is mentioned chapel from the Árpad period,which was shared with Vrabia and which still existed in 1667. The Roman Catholic Church, which is dedicated to St. Francis of Assisi, was built in Baroque style between 1802 and 1824 in place of existing chapel before the XIV century. Until 1726 the church belonged to Cozmeni commune, after which became independent along with subsidiary Vrabia. The village was inhabited by famous stone masons, of which evidence are the numerous crosses, stone houses and gates. Such old stone cross is at the end of the street of the church. It was raised by István Boldizsár the parish priest of Cozmeni commune. Betegh Ferenc, customs director, also raised a stone cross in 1743 in memory of the plague. This cross is southwards of the village next to the road. The house by the number of 139 is listed as a historic monument.
GPS coordinates: 46°12′20″N 25°54′51″E
This village is at the northern end of the Tușnad Defile, and it was founded by the victims of Tuşnad, after the great fire of September 11, 1882. At firs the residents of Tușnad Nou went to the church in Tușnad village. Roman Catholic Church of Tușnad Nou was built between 1873-1897 in honor of St. Anthony of Padua. From June 19, 1912 it is registered as an independent church. The first priest of the village was Lajos György. During the 1923 renovations two bells were purchased for the church. During parish priest György Balázs (1989) further transformation takes place. As a result the church was successfully enlarged with 11 m. The church gained its today shape in 1997. Monument of the Second World War, located in the village center, at the intersection in front of the church was erected in 1922 in memory of those killed in war. In 1945 the ”turul” bird was removed from the monument. The “turul” bird, which can be seen today on the monument, was inaugurated on May 11, 2008. Here, specifically in front of the church garden you can see the cross stone, made in 1875, in honor of the Virgin Mary. Near the railroad of the village is located the Bátordi spring. The village operates mineral water bottling plant, which was built in 1973, where, at the moment Tuşnad mineral water is bottled.
GPS coordinates: 46°11′35″N 25°53′39″E
Small village hidden in the Lower Ciuc Basin extends on the left bank of the Olt River, in the valley of Vrabia (Vermed) Stream. Some claim that it was named after the stream. But rather received this name during the iron mining, because people were engaged in iron processing. The village was ravaged by fire several times, but each time it was rebuilt. Someday the village had four permanent mineral water springs, which were used by people every day. The Roman Catholic Church, bearing the Guardian Angels name, was built between 1770 and 1775. You can see combinations of elements of gothic and baroque style of the end of 15th and 16th centuries. Even the holy water holder belongs to this period. Old painting from the altar, with the guardian angels was brought here from the old chapel from Tuşnad Sat, in 1810, purchased in 1771 with help of the parish priest Péter Tompos from Cozmeni. The present tower of the church was built in 1836 to replace the old tower which was made of wood. ‘Between the Olt River and the village we can find a mineral spring pool built in 2011.
GPS coordinates: 46°13′22″N 25°54′18″E